An MCA has called upon the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy to hold Kenya Power responsible for the increasing deaths in electricity mishaps in the Bangladesh slums in Mombasa County.
Speaking last evening after the burial of a child, who was electrocuted last week while playing near a sagging live cable, Mikindani MCA Juma Renson Thoya said the family and other Jomvu constituents deserved an explanation from the power utility. He accused the power company of negligence.
“How many more children shall we bury before they can fix the problem?” he posed.
He vowed to do everything within his power to hold the company to account.
Simon Etobola, the father of the three-year-old victim, said: “I urge the government to intervene and ensure that justice is done for my son. We have been complaining to Kenya Power for a long time to fix the problem.”
Joseph Oluoch, the co-ordinator of Shining Hope for Communities (Shofco) NGO’s Mombasa branch, urged the authorities to enhance safety in the slums
“We have recently lost two children, and two are still in hospital, one of them in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). We have had enough. Something must be done about this,” he demanded.