Embakasi East MP Babu Owino has made a passionate appeal to the government following the recent demolitions that have left thousands of families in Nairobi’s Kariobangi and Ruai areas homeless.
Taking to his official Twitter handle on Sunday night, 17th May, the controversial lawmaker said that he had received many “calls and messages of distress and trauma” from the Kenyans whose homes were demolished.
He appealed to the national government to be considerate to those affected, with the evictions occurring amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I have received calls and messages of distress and trauma from Kenyans whose dwelling places have been demolished in Kariobangi and Ruai in the last few days. I sympathise with them and I want to take this chance to appeal to the government to be considerate to those affected,” he wrote.
Residents of Kariobangi’s Sewage Estate on Monday woke to the sound of bulldozers demolishing their houses. The demolitions were conducted by Nairobi Water and Sewerage Company and left more than 5,000 families homeless. The water firm said it was reclaiming land that had been encroached on by squatters.
On Friday night, 15th May, hundreds of families in Ruai slept out in the cold following the demolition of their houses by the government.
The operation began at around 10pm, with the families, including children, being thrown out in the rain, and some of their property being damaged.