The most recent data from the Ministry of Health has shown that 271 more people were diagnosed with the coronavirus disease between Wednesday, 7th October, and yesterday, 8th October.
Speaking in Kitale, Trans Nzoia County, during the daily Covid-19 report, Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Rashid Aman said that 5,034 samples had been tested.
Kenya’s Covid-19 case load has now crossed the 49,000 mark and established itself at 40,178.
According to Dr Aman, 241 of the latest cases are Kenyans while 29 are foreigners.
The number of males, who tested positive for the virus in the today’s update stood at 177 while the females were 94.
The youngest patient is a four-month-old baby while the oldest is 83.
Some 51 patients, 22 from the home-based care programme and 29 from various hospitals, have been discharged. The total number of recoveries now stands at 31,710.
However, three patients succumbed to Covid-19 related infections, raising the death toll to 710.
The CAS warned Kenyans against flouting the Covid-19 guidelines, reiterating that the country could be hit by the second wave.
He pleaded with the public to avoid all forms political gatherings as well as crowded places.
“Do not lower your guard when it comes to fighting this disease, particularly avoiding social and political gatherings. Leaders need to set the right examples.
“Social and political gatherings are fertile grounds of spreading the virus. If we can avoid them, then we shall have dealt a major blow to the spread of the virus,” he said.