Top investigative journalist Dennis Okari‘s whereabouts are still unknown after he reportedly went into hiding.
The NTV new anchor-cum-reporter disappeared after publishing a story dubbed, the ‘Covid-19 Millionaires’.
The investigative piece, which caught the attention of the nation exposed the alleged looting of donated funds and equipment at the Kenya Medical Supplies Agency (Kemsa).
In the report, Okari revealed how well-connected cartels had allegedly conspired with the agency and senior officials from the Ministry of Health to smartly plunder the donations.
In his report, the journalist claimed that medical equipment donated by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma to help in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic had been stolen.
At the centre of the saga, Okari mentioned Megascope Healthcare Limited as the alleged main facilitator and beneficiary.
He claimed that Megascope was tasked to clear the Jack Ma consignment from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), but some equipment went missing in the process.
Through its director, Richard Ngatia, the Nairobi-based medical equipment supplier gas sued Nation Media Group (NMG) as well as Okari.
In a virtual court session on Wednesday, 24th September, NMG lawyer Kiragu Kimani told Judge Joseph Sergon that he had not been able to trace Okari to sign the affidavit.
However, Megascope lawyer Njoroge Regeru said the media house was employing tactics to delay the case.
Judge Sergon ordered NMG to pull down the story from all its social media platforms pending the hearing and determination of the case.
On YouTube alone, the investigative piece has garnered more that 700,000 views.
The Kemsa scandal has been taking twists and turns as officials continue play blame games.
The agency’s suspended CEO, John Manjari, told the National Assembly’s Health Committee that CS Mutahi Kagwe influenced the tendering.
However, Kagwe defended himself, saying Manjari was being used by cartels in the Ministry of Health to drag his name through the mud.
President Uhuru Kenyatta ordered Kemsa to publish online all the companies that were awarded tenders.
He also instructed the concerned agencies to investigate the scandal within 21 days. The President’s provided timeframe has already lapsed, but no report has been made public.