French President Emmanuel Macron has said that his country will battle the coronavirus disease well into mid next year, as the cases have surged past a million. By Friday, 23rd October, France had recorded 40,000 new cases, with 298 deaths.
The deadly virus that broke out in December last year in Wuhan City, China, has disrupted many lives, though in recent months, the situation has started to return to normal in some countries.
However, World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned the countries against letting their guard down as the second wave of infections was likely to occur.
The UN agency has called for quick action to prevent the overwhelming health services, arguing that the spike in European cases is a critical moment in fighting against the virus.
WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “The next few months are going to be very tough and some countries are on a dangerous track.”
Scientists have also warned that a vaccine could take years to be rolled out.
In Kenya, schools are reopening in phases. Grade Four, and the national exam classes eight and Form Four have been the first to reopen.
With the second wave mounting, new cases have also risen and many say it is as a result of the easing of Covid-19 restrictions.
Since the relaxation of the rules, politicians have been holding political rallies and other social gatherings without adhering to the health guidelines.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe warned that the threat be taken seriously.
“We need to seriously observe the containment measures to avoid getting into the second wave.”
As the infections continue to rise, a curfew in the United Kingdom has been extended to about two thirds of the country for the next six weeks.
in France, Marcon said scientists had told him that they believe the virus will be present until next year.
He also said that it was too early to say whether France would go into a new full or partial lockdown.
The curfew, according to the President can only be eased if new infections drop to between 3,000 and 5,000 a day.
The head of a Paris hospital group has also warned that the second wave will be worse than the first.
AP-HP Hospital chief Martin Hirsch said: “There has been a perception in recent months that a second wave does not exist, or that it is a small wave. The situation is the opposite.”
He added: “There are many positive people, infectious, in the streets without knowing it and without anyone else knowing it.”
Even with the gradual increase in numbers of infections in Kenya, Education CS George Magoha has urged kenyans to remain calm.
This comes after some schools reported cases of infections on reopening.
CS Magoha said: “The ministry has provided medical and technical support to the schools where a few positive cases of Covid-19 were reported. I am happy to report that there is now no cause for alarm.”
He also said that schools would not be closed as the Ministry of Health was working to control the virus.
“Ministry of Education field staff and those from the headquarters are currently spread out in all parts of the country to monitor and continuously provide data on the situation in schools. This feedback will inform our next steps regarding the groups of learners that are still yet to reopen.”