Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu has urged people who may have come into close contact with a Catholic priest who tested positive for coronavirus yesterday, 30th March, to get themselves examined.
“We are aware of what we should do so that we do not contract or spread the virus. Visit medical facilities and be tested,” she said.
Addressing reporters from her home, the county boss encouraged the residents to take the bold step to prevent further spread of the virus to their close relatives and other contacts.
She said the priest had met a number of people before he was taken into a forced isolation. She urged the people he came to contact with to help the health officers to trace others.
“This is a very crucial week. Stay home and avoid movements as much as possible.”
Father Nicholas Maanzo, of Kasyala Parish, went on holiday to Ireland and returned to the country through Italy. He was among the eight new confirmed coronavirus cases announced by Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe yesterday.
Back in the country, the priest carried on with his normal duties until local residents raised the alarm, and he was forcefully quarantined early last week.
On Sunday, 29th March, the priest was transferred to Mbagathi Hospital in Nairobi and tested positive for Covid-19.