Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe has stated that the next two weeks will be defining moment for the country in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.

In his latest update on Covid-19, CS Kagwe disclosed that the country was entering into a difficult phase that calls for the collective responsibility of all the citizens.

The CS said that 14 days after recording the first positive case of the coronavirus disease had been challenging for other affected countries and Kenya would not be an exemption.

“The next two weeks are critical for us in containing the virus. Figures from other countries have shown that 14 days after getting the first patient, there is a surge. It is better for us to get ready now,” he said.

Read Also:  Hold Talks on Validity of Covid-19 Test Certificates Across Borders, Truck Drivers Urge Government

To minimise the anticipated impact, the government has drafted new guidelines to be effected from Monday, 23rd March.

Affected Parties

The transport sector has been dealt a major blow, as their vehicles will be forced to carry fewer passengers to create the required social distance.

The 14-seater matatus will now carry only 8 passengers, while 25-seater minibuses will ferry a maximum of 15 passengers.

“All 25-seater vehicles will carry a maximum of 15 passengers, while 30-seater vehicles and above are to maintain a 60 percent maximum of seating capacity,” the CS stated.

Further, entertainment joints such as nightclubs and bars will be closing at 7:30pm frin Monday.

“Entertainment joints will close by 7:30pm on a daily basis effective 23rth March,” Kagwe directed.

Read Also:  I'll Represent Kenya With Dignity, Says Health DG Amoth on Top WHO Executive Board Job

Restaurants and other eateries have been spared, but ordered to make sure the “social distancing” precaution is observed at all times.

Medical professionals have reiterated the importance of “social distancing”, which has been identified as the main preventive measure against Covid-19.

Meanwhile, Kenya has a total of seven patients who have tested positive for Covid-19. The government has said all are in stable condition.

Four suspected cases are admitted at Mbagathi Hospital, while seven more people are being closely monitored after coming into contact with the diagnosed patients.

Members of the public have been asked to adopt a hygienic lifestyle by frequently washing their hands and regularly cleaning the environment around them.

Persons who have had international travels in the recent days have been ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Read Also:  Kibra Likely to be Locked Down as Covid-19 Cases Increase

The Health CS has warned those who have refused to self-isolate that they could face criminal charges when the Public Heath Act is invoked.

Do you have any fascinating, funny, intriguing, troubling or inspiring story that you would wish to share? Please email us at: info@litkenya.com and we will publish it on Litkenya.com

Robert Mwangi

I am a professional journalist trained at Kenya Institute of Mass Communication, with experience in reporting; Current Affairs, Human Interest and General News. Let's connect and engage on Facebook ( Journalist Robert Mwangi) and Twitter (@robertmwangi254)