Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho on Wednesday, 16th September, told the National Assembly’s Delegated Legislation Committee that 37 million Kenyans registered for the Huduma Namba last year.

Kibicho said that those who missed out in the first phase would get a chance to enlist in the second phase to be announced soon.

The registration was conducted by the National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS). The process involves collecting biometric data which then a unique number is generated from the system that grants access to various services.

“This data was stored in gadgets that were used in the registration. It was also being conveyed to a centre we established,” Dr Kibicho said.

Read Also:  Cyclists Protest Harassment on Roads by Motorists

He said because of the lawsuits filed by civil society groups and some Kenyan individuals, the government had not been able to make use of the data collected
“With the cases concluded, the process of establishing the National Integrated Identity Management System is back on track and Kenyans will start receiving their smart cards before the end of the year.”

The cards will serve as the official government-issued document for conducting official transactions and for identification.

Last year, those who did not register had been warned that they would not receive any government services. They would not be able to sell land and make transactions, sell cars, pay taxes, vote, and marry officials, they were told.
However, a court ruling barred the government from discriminating against some of its people.

Read Also:  DCI Boss Kinoti Rubbishes Senator Malala Death Plot Talk and Demands Apology

Do you have any fascinating, funny, intriguing, troubling or inspiring story that you would wish to share? Please email us at: info@litkenya.com and we will publish it on Litkenya.com