One child has been electrocuted and two others badly injured in a sagging electricity cable accident in Mombasa Town.
Following the mishap, the residents of Mikindani Ward in Jomvu constituency were up in arms today, 17th May, accusing the power utility’s personnel of laxity.
The one who died had been taken to Mikindani Health Centre while the other two were admitted to the Coast General Hospital.
Officers at Mikindani Police Post said the three children were playing near the dangerously hanging live wire when the incident occurred.
The residents said they had complained to the local Kenya Power office for almost two months ago, but the problem was not rectified.
“The technicians came yesterday, but did not fix it, only for us for lose a life today,” local resident Haman Saidi lamented.
He said this was the second fatal incident at the same stop, following the electrocution of a three-year-old child two days ago.
The latest accident, the local residents said, would not have occurred had the problem been rectified yesterday.
The victim’s body was taken to the Coast General Hospital Funeral home, as the survivors are being treated at the same hospital.