Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua has held a special meeting with his ministers today, 28th February, over the deadly coronavirus risk.
The governor said that his major source of concern was the lack of crucial information from the national government on how to deal the situation.
“There are no written guidelines on how people coming in from other countries, especially China, should be handled at the county level. There is a big gap in information.”
He said there should be a laid-down mechanism to enable closer monitoring of the people quarantined.
Governor Mutua called for awareness creation among Kenyans at all levels on how to protect themselves.
“Everybody needs to take responsibility for their own safety, but it is impossible without the relevant information.”
He would soon announce how the county is boosting preparedness against the deadly virus.
Mutua spoke just hours after a Chinese national, who arrived in Kenya on Wednesday, fell sick at Sidai Estate in the Sabaki area of Athi River Township.
County Health minister Ancient Kituku said there was no confirmed case of the virus in Machakos, but assured the public that the patient had been quarantined and was undergoing a medical assessment.
He was among the 238 Chinese nationals who arrived in Nairobi from China on Wednesday, 26th February.
The arrival of a Chinese plane at the JKIA, Nairobi, sparked off a huge public outrage, prompting the Machakos County boss to come up with a strategy to deal with the crisis.