Home » Business » Nzoia Sugar Factory to Resume Production as Uhuru Announces Ksh500m Bailout

Nzoia Sugar Factory to Resume Production as Uhuru Announces Ksh500m Bailout

by Zablon Ondari
2 mins read

Nzoia Sugar Factory is set to resume production on Sunday, 7th August, following President Uhuru Kenyatta’s announcement of a Ksh500 million bailout to offset arrears owed to farmers and workers.

The President, who made the announcement on Tuesday when he visited the factory located in Bungoma County, directed Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Peter Munya to ensure that the Ksh450 million owed to farmers is accredited to their bank accounts while Ksh50 million is paid to the factory workers by Friday.

President Kenyatta said his administration had been working to empower sugarcane farmers but some leaders charged with that responsibility sabotaged the efforts by crippling the operations of the sugar sector.

He pointed out that despite allocating close to Ksh1.2 billion to the Nzoia Sugar Factory, the investment amounted to nothing because the funds were not used for the intended purpose.

“Managing Director Crispin Omondi has promised that by Sunday the factory will again start operations,” President Kenyatta said.

At the same time, the President cautioned Kenyans against falling into the trap of smooth-talking politicians who do not have the interests of the country at heart.

“Some individuals are moving around promising to undertake projects and yet while they were in government they did not do anything to improve the welfare of the people. Be wary of sweet talking leaders who say they will do many things and yet when they had and opportunity they didn’t do anything.”

President Kenyatta urged Kenyans to vote for the Azimio la Umoja-One Kenya Alliance presidential candidate Raila Odinga, saying he has proved to be a genuine leader who cares about the interests of all citizens.

“Please try this old man who is humble and focused. This job requires someone with wisdom to run the affairs of the country,” he added.

The people of Kanduyi constituency assured the President they would support for Azimio la Umoja-One Kenya Alliance.

CS Munya said 900 farmers had already received their payments and the rest would be paid by Friday.

Bungoma Governor Wycliffe Wangamati and Defence Cabinet Secretary Eugene Wamalwa thanked President Kenyatta for providing good leadership and assured him that they would mobilise Bungoma residents to vote the Azimio la Umoja-One Kenya Alliance candidates for the country to continue on its development trajectory.

Kanduyi MP Wafula Wamunyinyi, who is also the chairman of Democratic Action Party Kenya (DAP-K), said sugarcane farmers were grateful to President Kenyatta for bailing out the sector that is their main source of livelihood.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More