Home » National » Top 10 News in Brief: Why Uhuru, Raila Itemised Alliance is Still a Flimsy Dream

Top 10 News in Brief: Why Uhuru, Raila Itemised Alliance is Still a Flimsy Dream

by Robert Mwangi
2 mins read

As you start your day, you need to power your mind with some relevant and useful information.

We have picked for you the Top 10 stories making the headlines on this day, 21st June 2021.

Uhuru, Raila Coalition Dilemma

The actualisation of the proposed pre-election deal between the Jubilee Party and Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) may take time.

Both parties are facing legal and political dilemma that must be resolved before the agreement is signed.

Jubilee will be required to convene a meeting of the party’s top organ for ratification while ODM must legally leave the National Super Alliance (Nasa) before entering into another coalition. Although he has linked himself to the United Democratic Alliance (UDA), Deputy President William Ruto is still the Jubilee Deputy Party Leader and will have to be consulted before it inks a deal with ODM.

Political observers, however, believe President Uhuru Kenyatta and ODM leader Raila Odinga will sidestep the hurdles easily.

Why DP Ruto Left Jubilee

After falling out with his boss, President Uhuru Kenyatta, and subsequent purges of his allies, Deputy President William Ruto knew he had to play his cards well or else the Jubilee Party would frustrate his 2022 State House bid.

Aware of this, the DP instructed his key lieutenants to rebrand the Party of Development and Reforms (PDR) as the United Democratic Alliance (UDA).

On Saturday, DP Ruto, for the first time, publicly confirmed that UDA is his party of choice and would use it to seek the presidency.

Murang’a Senator Irungu Kang’ata, who was removed as Senate Majority Whip due to his association with the DP, said the second in command could not continue banking on Jubilee “because the vision is no longer there”.

Race to Succeed Joho Hots Up

ODM boss Raila Odinga has said that he has no preferred candidate in the race to Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho, insisting that the Orange Party will conduct free and fair nominations.

The former Prime Minister’s remarks came days after Mombasa businessman Suleiman Shahbal defected to ODM from Jubilee, causing jitters for Mvita MP Abdulswamad Nassir, who had hoped for a direct nomination.

Nassir has been an ODM loyalist and is among coastal leaders who opposed a plan by some politicians to form a regional political party. On the other hand, Shahbal has deep pockets, which is key for someone seeking a gubernatorial position in a city like Mombasa.

Change of Guard at KTDA

Long-serving Kenya Tea Development Agency (KTDA) chairman Peter Kanyago has been replaced by David Mune after a protracted legal battle.

Kanyago’s deputy, Philip Ngetich, lost his seat to Wesley Koech while the secretary’s position wentto Patrick Ngunjiri.

The outgoing leadership of KTDA has been protesting the State-backed overhaul at the agency after Parliament enacted new laws to protect farmers from exploitation.

Moi Grandson Fails to Show up For DNA Tests

Former President Daniel arap Moi’s grandson could face contempt charges after he failed to show up for DNA tests last Friday as a court had directed him.

Collins Moi has been sued by his ex-wife, Gladys Jeruto, who accused him of failing to provide for his two children. Collins told the court that he was unsure if the children were his, compelling the judge to order paternity tests.

Jeruto is demanding Ksh1 million in monthly upkeep.

Arrests in Western Kenya as Police Enforce Covid-19 Protocols

Tens of people have been arrested in 13 counties in western Kenya where the government imposed tighter measures to combat the spread of Covid-19.

Residents of the devolved units are said to be carrying on with normal activities even after the introduction of the new stringent containment measures last week.

On Saturday, 12 people, among them six police officers, were arrested in Kisii County after they were found drinking past curfew hours.

Tuju Charity Walk

Jubilee Secretary-General Raphael Tuju on Sunday, 21st June, completed a 56-kilometre charity walk to raise money to equip Kijabe Hospital with modern equipment to enable it to handle emergencies more effectively.

When Tuju was involved in a grisly road accident in February last year, he was first taken to Kijabe Hospital, where he was stabilised before being airlifted to Nairobi and consequently to the United Kingdom for specialised treatment. The accident left him with multiple fractures.

Among the leaders who participated in the walk are Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru, her Kiambu counterpart, James Nyoro, ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru, and President Uhuru Kenyatta’s younger brother, Muhoho Kenyatta.

Senator Ongeri’s Kin Narrates His Abduction

For more than two weeks, 79-year-old Kennedy Bosire did not know peace after he was abducted by unknown people and taken to different places even as the kidnappers demanded a huge sum of money to set him free.

Bosire, who is relative of Kisii Senator Sam Ongeri, was travelling at night from Kitale to Kisii County to visit his ailing aunt when his captors intercepted him and ordered him to switch off his phone.

Without his knowledge, the kidnappers rang his wife and ordered her to raise Ksh2 million ransom or else they would kill him. She promised to cooperate with them, but also informed detectives.

The investigators were able to track the abductors’ phone signal. They raided a home at Malili Saba area along the Eldoret-Kitale Highway and rescued Bosire.

Man Stabs His Children

Police in Nyandarua have apprehended a man after he allegedly stabbed his two children, who are now in hospital fighting for their lives.

Ken Mburu is said to have turned his anger on the minors aged one and seven after a disagreement with him wife.

He also torched their house.

Suspects Arrested After Demos Over Serial Killings

Days after residents of Moi Bridge in Uasin Gishu took to the streets to demand justice over serial killings, police have arrested two suspects.

Over the last few months, children aged between eight and 14 have been disappearing mysteriously only for them to be found dead.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More