President Uhuru Kenyatta has confirmed that 31 more people have tested positive for the coronavirus disease in the last 24 hours.
Kenya has now confirmed a total of 1,192 Covid-19 patients.
Speaking at State House, Nairobi, the President said the country had tested 57,650 people.
The Head of State noted that the country did not register any Covid-19 deaths of recoveries in the last one day.
Some 380 patients have recovered while 50 have died, so far.
President Kenyatta said that the number of new infections was expected to rise, but the government was working on more containment measures.
He urged Kenyans to observe the precautionary measures, as it was the only way to flatten the Covid-19 curve.
“The rate of infections may surge upwards if we fail to comply with the guidelines by the Ministry of Health,” the President warned.
The government was working on mechanisms to reopen the economy while at the same time protecting the country from a Covid-19 surge.
The Kenyan leader said the economy would collapse if most Kenyans continued staying at home.
“We are trying to open the economy, but we must all observe Covid-19 preventive measures. If we strictly adhere to the containment measures we will overcome. I urge both individual, collective responsibility.”
He hinted that his administration might ease some of the restrictions imposed to combat the spread of the dreaded virus.
Some of the restrictions that could be loosened include the cessation of movement into and out of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale and Mandera counties, and the lockdown in Nairobi’s Eastleigh and Old Town in Mombasa.
In addition, President Kenyatta said the Social Protection Programme launched to cushion vulnerable families during this pandemic would go on.
The money is sent directly via M-Pesa to the targets to avoid manipulation by cartels and brokers.
“Many Kenyans cannot feed their families or pay their rent because of the Covid-19 pandemic. This is why the government has been dispatching a total of Ksh250 million to the vulnerable families,” the President said.
He asked parents not go worry about the fate of children who are at home because of the prolonged closure of schools.
“We know that parents and children are concerned about what the future holds. We shall communicate in the very near future after extensive discussions that are ongoing with the relevant stakeholders,” he said.
Education Chief Administrative Secretary Zac Kinuthia on Wednesday, 20th May, indicated that the KCPE and KCSE exam candidates would be given the first priority in the reopening of schools.