English football clubs will stage a three-day social media boycott at the weekend to protest against racism and social media abuse.
The English Premier League and English clubs will switch off Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts across a full-fixture programme, from Friday 30th April until Monday 3rd May.
In a statement issued on Friday, 30th April, the Premier League said that social media companies need to do more to prevent the online discriminatory abuse received by players and many others across the world, which goes without any real-life consequences for the perpetrators.
Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters urged the UK Government to ensure that its Online Safety Bill brings in strong legislation to make social media companies more accountable for what happens on their platforms.
“Racist behaviour of any form is unacceptable and the appalling abuse we are seeing players receive on social media platforms cannot be allowed to continue,” said Masters.
“The Premier League and our clubs stand alongside football in staging this boycott to highlight the urgent need for social media companies to do more in eliminating racial hatred. We will not stop challenging social media companies and want to see significant improvements in their policies and processes to tackle online discriminatory abuse on their platforms.”
He said football is a diverse sport, which brings together communities and cultures from all backgrounds and this diversity makes the competition stronger.
“No Room For Racism represents all the work we do to promote equality, diversity and inclusion and tackling discrimination.”
Earlier this year, the Premier League launched its ‘No Room For Racism Action Plan’, outlining a series of commitments aimed at creating greater access to opportunities and career progression for Black, Asian, and other minority ethnic groups in football, and actions to eradicate racial prejudice.